In one of the applications I was working lately, one usual day I was informed that the people picker suddenly stopped working across the site. It sounded very weird at first. After reviewing all the changes that were done recently in the site I found that the custom master page the application was using was updated to support IE9 compatibility which was breaking all the people picker controls in all the pages. So changing back it to IE8 fixed the issue.
Not compatible -
<meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=9″/>
Change it to -
<meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=8″/>
“The Subscription Settings service and corresponding application and proxy needs to be running in order to make changes to these settings” – even after configuring subscription Settings Service
I completed configuring my SharePoint 2013 box yesterday and with at most curiosity of creating my first app I opened Visual Studio 2012 and create a SharePoint hosted app. And I was greeted with my first error message on SharePoint 2013.
‘Apps are disabled on the site‘.
I then learnt that the ‘App Management Service’ and the ‘Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Subscription Settings Service’ should be up and running before I can configure the App URLs in Central Administration and deploying apps.
(Note: You must create a separate app domain for deploying your apps before all these which I have done already following this article)
The former is created automatically while installing SP 2013 but to get the later running we have to do it manually by creating a service application. This can be done through the powershell -
add-pssnapin </code><code>"Microsoft.Sharepoint.Powershell" $manaccount = Get-SPManagedAccount nlv\Administrator Remove-SPServiceApplicationPool -Identity SettingsServiceAppPool $appPoolService = New-SPServiceApplicationPool -Name SettingsServiceAppPool -Account $manaccount $appService = New-SPSubscriptionSettingsServiceApplication -ApplicationPool $appPoolService -Name SettingsServiceApp -DatabaseName SettingsServiceDB $proxyService = New-SPSubscriptionSettingsServiceApplicationProxy -ServiceApplication $appService
So again I navigated to Apps -> Configure Apps URLs in CA and again daang! Same message -
‘The Subscription Settings service and corresponding application and proxy needs to be running in order to make changes to these settings’
I was googling for an hour and found everywhere that only these two service applications have to be started to configure app URLs. And finally I found the silly step which has to be done after creating subscription settings service application given by chaks here.
You have to do an IISRESET and bingo! Now you will able to configure App URLs in CA.
For the past couple of days one of my colleagues was trying to integrate the activity feed of our client’s Facebook brand page in the client’s public portal. When I was looking into it I initially tried with the Activity Feed plugin provided in the Facebook plugins page.
Our requirement was to load all the activities that are happening in our Facebook page such as comments, posts, videos, likes etc. But when I was using the activity feed plugin I realized that the activity feed plugin only brings the Facebook page activity done from the site in which it is currently hosted. For example, if you have integrated the activity feed plugin in your site http://demo.yoursite.com/, the plugin only shows the activity that is created from http://demo.yoursite.com. But our intentions was to bring the complete set of activities happening in the Facebook page.
Thankfully I found out the Facebook Like Box which met our requirements. It fetches the completely activity feed of a Facebook page and integrates into your site. You can also comment and like posts from the plugin.
If you are exporting an asp.net grid to the CSV format you might see some special characters appearing the exported file. This is because of not setting the right encoding format. I initially tried with UTF8, UTF32 and Unicode and none of them exported the data correctly. Finally I set the encoding to default like this -
Response.ContentEncoding = Encoding.Default;
Finally the single quotes and hypens were appearing correctly in the CSV. Please not that you have to HtmlDecode your data if you have already HtmlEncoded it.
When you are working with custom master pages with a customized left navigation (done with SP designer) you would have noticed that no matter how many times you set it as “Custom Master Page” and “Default Master Page” in designer the list forms in the site will open with its own left navigation. This is because the list forms will make use of the application master page which will be residing in the Layouts folder and not the default or custom master pages.
In one of my recent projects I had a mail notification feature for a list which will send a mail when a new item is added. The mail will be sent with a link to the item. So I build the URL as http://app/sites/site2/Lists/Invoices/Dispform.aspx?ID=5 which points to the item with the ID as 5 in the list Invoices.
But opening the link as such will show the list item with the old left navigation which we don’t want. So when I checked out the URL opened by SharePoint when “View item” is clicked in the ribbon I found that it opens with a query parameter IsDlg in the URL which mentions whether the item is opened in a dialog. But unfortunately when I tried the same parameter as IsDlg=1 in the link the item opened fine with the left navigation hidden but the scrollbars disabled. Arrgh. Now the SP madness begins. But before I plucked all my hair out I luckily found this brilliant answer by XueQi which mentions that we can either use IsDlg=0 or IsDlg=2 for the scrollbars to work fine.
And the expedition continues.